Tuesday, March 17, 2020

What It Means - Day 365

And we've reached the end, or at least the end of this go-around, of my year-long reflection on faith, or at least my little corner of faith. As I've stated repeatedly, I don't speak for my faith, and one of the reasons why I became a Muslim in the first place is that no one truly speaks for the entire faith. I'm just a person trying to lead my life, live my faith, and use my faith to make the best decisions for the people in my life and the people not in my life.

There's never been a grand plan for the direction I was taking, nor a plan for having it all add up to anything. Rather, I just spend year - to paraphrase my excellent friend Sanford - just talking about what I'm talking about (or, maybe slightly more elegantly, thinking about what I was thinking about). I guess this is my way of saying that I wasn't building with an appropriately magnificent finish. That said, for some reason this final post makes sense in a way. When I was in India I had the opportunity to revisit the Taj Mahal, but I had never been there as the sun was coming up.  You should always visit the Taj Mahal, but if you ever have the chance to get there as the sun is coming up you should make every effort to take advantage of that opportunity. The light is extraordinary, and it makes it all even more magical. I snapped the picture of the Taj from the adjoining mosque, and it's a great shot. In addition, I took the opportunity to sneak into a quiet corner of the mosque and pray. It was still crowded, but because it was the morning it was not as insanely crowded as it normally is, so no one paid me much mind as I prayed in the corner. So, I guess the point of all this is, that while the whole of Islam is glorious and magnificent, my little corner is just my little corner, and that's enough for me.





No comments: