Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Hot Water Cold Water


On the Iceland trip Gary and I took advantage of the natural springs, although doubtless not as many times as we should have. One one memorable day we began and ended the day in hot springs, the morning adventure I posted about previously. These pictures capture, poorly, our second dip, just as the sun was setting (which meant it was late afternoon). We were just following the coast and came across this little town where they had built more substantial tubs fueled by the natural springs. It was amazing to sit in them and look at the sea, which was about thirty feet away. We ended up talking to two young women in the next tub, both of whom were, not surprisingly, ogling my son (for which I gave him a fair amount of grief for not responding to them - his response was, "Was I just supposed to abandon you?" - my response, "Well, yeah, duh.").

This picture can't begin to do justice to how awe-inspiring it was to soak in the hot dog while listening to the crashing waves. I suppose if we were true Icelanders we would have alternated between the hot and cold water.

My son denies that he was bulked up. No one who sees this picture agrees.

Me, trying, and failing, to capture the mood of the place as the sun finally surrendered.

Some old dude in the water.

No comments: