Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Simple Pleasures

 I suppose I should call this Breakfast during the Pandemic, which would fit in with non-designated series of posts on life during the Great Isolation. However, there are so many other posts that would deserve that title. Here's a picture of a breakfast I whipped up the other day, eggs and appropriately crunchy homemade goetta. I've been trying to eat much more sensible breakfasts - low fat yogurt and granola - but three days a week I rev up the protein a bit because I'm going to the gym to lift weight. The other day I was wondering why it took so long at the gym, but then stopped and did the math: if you spend 40 minutes on the elliptical machine and then head into 17 (yeah, I didn't believe it either until I stopped and counted them) different weight lifting stations (each of them based on two sets of twelve reps) it takes a long time. And, still, I have no muscles (aging is cruel). However, even if I'm not getting the muscles I want I still need protein, so thus the bigger breakfasts. This may be as much a celebration of making my own goetta. During this new life, as we suffer through the coldness of the Great Isolation, I suppose it's not surprising that something simple, something that reminds me of a happier time, would give me such pleasure. 

The problem I'm facing now is that I've finally run out of goetta mix (pinhead oats), which I normally stock up on when I return to Cincinnati for a visit. I did find some on Amazon, naturally, although they only came in orders of six packages, which seems a lot even for me (although I could give them out as gifts to my friends).


No comments: