Saturday, August 1, 2020

Eid During the Pandemic

Yes, this seems like a developing trend, which isn't particularly surprising since we're all trying to work our way through the Great Isolation. Yesterday was Eid Al Adha, which is now the second Eid (there are only two) that have been swallowed up by the pandemic. It's not like there wasn't a celebration, but this is a time that Muslims come together to celebrate and obviously that's not a possibility now. I don't think my faith has faded during the pandemic, if anything it's probably more important, but so many of the external aspects (which, as you know, I often dismiss, at least gently) that bring us together and help give us purpose have disappeared, at least temporarily. Technically we can go back to the mosque, but I'm still a little hesitant about being in crowds and definitely pick my spots. Plus, as we've discussed, the men are getting first dibs on the Friday prayer slots and it's something I disagree with so that also gives me pause on returning (at least until the sisters have an equal opportunity).

At least we had the chance to send out Eid e-cards, and this is the one I sent along. It seemed terribly appropriate.

No comments: