Thursday, August 6, 2020

Remembering Beirut

Not surprisingly, the horrible accident in Beirut has me thinking about the trip I made there years ago. It was when I was on my sabbatical at Zayed University in Abu Dhabi. It was the first that Laura, my girlfriend and eventually my fiancee, ever went away for a trip - or, as she charmingly put it, a "jolly." It's so strange to think about now. The city has such a tragic modern history, and we managed to sneak in during a lull in various troubles. It's devastating to think of the suffering of those people, who were very kind to us on the trip.








My own personal feelings matter very little in the face of the tragedy, but I'd also be lying if I didn't add that thinking about how happy we were then and how it later all fell to pieces moved me quickly from wistful to remorseful to crushingly sad.



No comments: