Saturday, December 26, 2020

Bathroom Break

 There's nothing profound about this picture although for some reason I felt inspired to include it here on the blog. Partially, it speaks to Namibia, which has been much on my mind as of late (has it really been a year since I was preparing to head off on the Trip of Mystery or simply a century?), but also it's a reminder of the challenges of travelling in a place like Namibia. Before I left I knew that Namibia was one of the least densely populated countries in the world, but it's only when you're there that it truly hits you. According to some, probably specious, quick Internet research, here are the least densely populated countries in the world based on people per square kilometer:

235. Greenland .138

234. Falkland Islands .286

233. Mongolia 2.110

232. Western Sahara 2.246 (oddly, I've been doing research on a potential trip there)

231. Namibia 3.086

230. Australia 3.319

229. Iceland 3.404

By way of comparison, the most densely populated is Monaco, checking in a 26,337 people per square kilometer.

It's interesting that of these seven I've visited three and am interested in visiting the other four, which I guess says something about my desire to spend time with other people. My desire to visit them far pre-dates the compilation of this list so I must simply be drawn to the wild and desolate.

Anyway, while our guide was driving us to Sossusvlei the young woman in the group (the hairdresser from Japan, the only other person) needed a bathroom break. It's sometimes difficult to find a place to use the restroom in Vermont, but, believe me, we have nothing on Namibia. The guide pulled over next to a little bridge and she disappeared behind this bush. After a few minutes she came back safe and sound and untroubled by baboons (which would have been my main fear; in fact, it was, during a similar earlier break where I relieved myself while watching a group of them in the distance).

I have a brief, natural, reflection on Donna Reed's character in It's a Wonderful Life.



No comments: