Friday, December 4, 2020

The Rain That Swells The Water

 Not surprisingly I've been thinking a lot about Namibia lately. A year ago I was putting the final touches on the planning for the Trip of Mystery, and then suddenly my personal life ended, or at least my sense of where it was headed. Rather, I guess, my the planned path of my personal life ended. I haven't talked a lot about it, but I was caught off guard and it was pretty emotionally crushing for a while. I knew there were problems, but there had never been an attempt from the other side to address them before hand - and my desire to try and work together to make things better, to dig deep and create a solid foundation for moving forward, was dismissed out of hand. In the end, it doesn't matter. If she wasn't happy then she should try and find happiness. Life is simply too short and precious. She could have handled things much better, but has anyone ever handled a breakup cleanly? Anyway, the trip I was looking forward to suddenly had a very dark cloud hanging over it. My friend Steve always jokes that if there is a desert I will find it, so I guess it wasn't much of a surprise that I'd plan a trip to Namibia. That said, the day I arrived to Windhoek at my quirky little hotel the heavens opened in a spectacular storm. For some reason, at that moment, I found it very moving, sort of emotionally cleansing. The previous year I had lived through the end of a desiccated relationship, and something about the torrential downpour gave me hope. I'm trying to capture and harness that emotion right now as I work through this difficult stage of my life.

OK, so I'm stealing lines from Sei Shonagon's The Pillow Book.



No comments: