Saturday, December 26, 2020

Christmas 2020

 As I proposed in my previous post, I can't decide whether 2020 lasted twelve months or merely a century. A year ago I was in a decaying relationship (although, truthfully, the full nature of the rot caught me off guard, as these things often do) but one that featured me living in my own crowded, noisy house. And suddenly I was cast adrift. A year later I live in a tiny little one bedroom apartment and the only outburst I experience is the icemaker occasionally filling with water. Am I better off? I suspect I am. As I've proposed previously, life is too short to be unhappy and if she was that unhappy she should try to find happiness. I'm blessed to have amazing people in my life and I moved forward. Still, there are times when the utter transformation of my life is more than a bit startling. Not surprisingly, one of those times was this Christmas. The person I'm seeing is Jewish, which means that we worked through the Jewish/Muslim multi-faith Christmas celebration. December 25th fell on a Friday this year so I signed up early online (I really should include a blog post on our local mosque and COVID) and went to the Friday khutbah. We then enjoyed, as she joked, the traditional Jewish Christmas celebration of takeout Chinese food. After that we watched It's a Wonderful Life. It all added up to a perfectly lovely Christmas day. And life goes on.

The prayer rug that my good friend Steve bought me as a gift in Stone Town.

The shrine at the Hop Sing restaurant in Essex, which somehow made the day even more ecumenical.



No comments: