Saturday, December 5, 2020

Windhoek Gardens

 I was organizing pictures on my phone and I came across a series of photos I snapped of the Windhoek Gardens Boutique Hotel where I stayed during my visit to Namibia. Actually, I stayed there three times in the space of a week: when I first arrived, then when I returned from Sossusvlei, and then when I came back from my journey to the coast to Swakopmund and before I jumped on the plane to head home. I don't normally celebrate hotels on the blog, but it was both a wonderful trip but also a stressful time so I really appreciate the kindness they showed me. That includes wishing me a Happy Birthday repeatedly and one of the nice women who worked there actually bought me some chocolate. It was with gratitude but also sadness when I finally packed up and head back to a lot of uncertainty and heartache. So, if you're ever headed to Windhoek be sure to give the Windhoek Gardens a try - I know I'll be back.

Yes, I was so tired from the endless trip from Montreal to Paris to Frankfurt to Windhoek that I couldn't find the coffee cups.

The lovely little dining room. They also had a quaint bar where I ended up eating several meals.

And, yes, it was awfully nice to leave the frozen tundra of mid-winter Vermont for high summer Namibia.

Like a lot of boutique hotels every room at the Windhoek Gardens was different. This was my first one.

My third one was festooned with crosses. Being an old colony, first German then British, and being far enough south in Africa, Namibia is heavily Christian.

There's a metaphor here somewhere.



No comments: