Thursday, December 17, 2020

Thanksgiving 2019

 This Thanksgiving was a bit of a mixed bag, and certainly didn't up being what I thought it would be - but, then, did anyone's 2020 end up like they thought? Most importantly, I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and am with a wonderful person now - and, yes, we had lobsters for Thanksgiving 2020, which seemed like a great way to start new and happier traditions. That said, it was also a bit bittersweet because the COVID pandemic cancelled the fall 2020 Thanksgiving trip to Jordan. So, that Thursday I would have been back in the Wadi Rum with a new group of students, and maybe my friends Cyndi and Erik, enjoying a Bedouin turkey dinner with Mahmoud and cooked by our friends Suleyman and Ali at the Rainbow Camp. I've already started planning for the fall 2021 trip (assuming I can conquer a whole new set of internal Champlain and external COVID logistics) but the missed trip did leave a little hole in my heart. So, not surprisingly, I found myself looking at pictures from Thanksgiving day 2019. All in all, an amazing day.

Morning in the Rainbow Camp.

Jack John, who I barely pried out of the desert, enjoying his morning tea.

Kayla and Lily looking a tad sluggish, but up and ready for the day.

Liza, Holy and Emma prepping for the day.

The greatest Arabian explorer since Thesinger, the esteemed Erik Esckilsen.

Ashley and Claire on their camels and ready for action.

Mahmoud telling the students about the Wadi Rum on a break on the camel ride (camels resting in the background).

It's hard to match the beauty of the Wadi Rum.

Fanatical Buffalo Bills fan Liza explaining football to Mahmoud.

Liza and Erik getting some football in - I mean, come on, it was Thanksgiving. Sadly, the Wadi Rum Bowl was cancelled (see picture below).

Lily: "Hey, Scudder, climb up here with me." Sure, what could go wrong . . . One fall later, luckily not from this side, and my knee was shot.

The kids exploring.

Another friendly camel.

The view of the Rainbow Camp from the outcropping. An extraordinary place to watch the sunset.

I don't know how many pictures I've taken of the sun going down in the Wadi Rum, but it's not enough.

And again.

This pictures always makes the students sad.

OK, one more.

The Thanksgiving turkey coming out of the ground, Bedouin style. I have a video of this and you can clearly hear Liza Ryan crying in the background.

Suleyman overseeing the feast. They made us a turkey (where they got it is anybody's guess, but that's how the Bedu roll) and a chicken, and a small mountain of sides.

An absolutely fantastic Thanksgiving feast. It will be extra special when we're back there for Thanksgiving 2021.



No comments: