Tuesday, April 20, 2021

A Very Mexican Iftar

As I'm wont to propose, I have many more friends than can be explained by my paucity of virtues. This becomes especially clear during Ramadan, when so many of my non-Muslim friends queue up to drop off food or invite me into their homes for Iftar meals. The traditional first night Iftar always belongs to Steve, my boon friend and travelling companion, who always drops off harira that night. Eventually my friend and titular little sister Cyndi will join him, despite my admonitions that she's supposed to take this year off as she recovers from her own physical challenges. The other day my friend Kelly dropped off a motherlode of chili. And, well, it goes on and on (including the next post). Last night my dear friend Pedro from the South Burlington Food Shelf invited me over for Iftar with a Mexican twist and, not surprisingly, it was delicious. I'm very blessed.


Where Pedro (actually Peter) is in this natural element, the kitchen. When I moved into my apartment he and his wife Gwen gave me two huge boxes of kitchen supplies.

Pedro and Gwen. As Pedro freely admits, he married far above his station.

Steve, who also volunteers at the Food Shelf all the time, enjoying the most comfortable rocking chair in the world.



No comments: