Sunday, April 4, 2021

Rebirth

 Today, and for the last two days, I walked from my apartment up the hill to Greenmount Cemetery, which is right next to Centennial Field where the Vermont Lake Monster play. One of the main things that drew me to my apartment was the thought of walking to baseball games, an option which grew rather pointless when the pandemic cancelled the Lake Monsters season - and, well, my body started to break down and just walking from my car to my classroom became a challenge. However, this weekend, for the first time in six months, I was able to make the walk all the day to the cemetery. Now, even factoring in the time I spent roaming around inside the cemetery, it was probably only a two mile round trip (although it was uphill both ways), I am still counting this as a major win. I groused about the medicine I'm on and getting an epidural, but apparently it must be doing some good. And, yes, it's rather sad that I'm taking pride in such a mild accomplishment.


I've always loved cemeteries, so I guess finding my way to Greenmount is not particularly surprising.

The cemetery was founded in 1763, and is probably best known as being the final resting place of Ethan Allen, whose monument you can just see in the distance. Last summer, to my surprise, I actually found a little Muslim corner of the cemetery, which pushed my understanding of when my fellow co-religionists first arrived in the state back further than I thought. That story deserves its own post.

Another view of the Ethan Allen monument.

And I suppose it was appropriate that I stumbled across this marker as I was musing over my life. As you can no doubt tell from my depressing posts lately, obviously I've been pitying my lot lately. I guess I need to keep pushing.




No comments: