Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Thursday Afternoon Memories

 I'm positive that I've posted this picture before but it popped up as a Facebook memory the other day and I grabbed it. Anymore the only decent thing about Facebook are the memory prompts - and pictures of Alice's dog Dolly living her best life. My friend Cindy and I were ranting about Facebook the other day and I proposed that all of my time on FB was devoted to hiding/reporting ads and glossing over packaged nonsense that my friends shared. Anyway, this picture showed up and it made me smile. I was talking to my friend Laura the other day and she said that more and more the time in the UAE just feels like a dream, and I know exactly what she's talking about. I have such fond memories of my year there - and it definitely contained some of my absolute happiest moments - but it does seem like a dream, one where you wake up with the feeling that it was a wonderful dream and you try to remember every part of it, knowing that if you don't it will disappear forever, but it remains maddeningly out of focus. Maybe this is why I'm so drawn to Proust. While this blog is often silly, it's lovely to be able to go back and get a glimpse into where I was and what I was thinking (or at least what I was willing to share with the broader world). Lately I've been thinking about going back and giving another look at my Proust musings (I just finished a reread of Remembrance of Things Past, my third; yeah, I can't believe I'm single either) and copying my original text and adding further thoughts. Maybe I should do that with other posts, as in, this is what I wrote, but let me tell you what was actually happening and what I was actually thinking (I guess there is an advantage to being old and alone: you're free, not only of the carnal whirlwind, but the need to self-edit your words and actions).


Left to right: Aya, Salwa, Some Random Dude, Roma. Or, as it came out in movie form: Three Women and a Baby. One of our great traditions was ice cream on Thursday afternoons (the end of the week in the UAE). This picture was taken at the Zayed campus in Abu Dhabi, shortly after we scored some ice cream. 



No comments: