Monday, July 27, 2020

Mondays at the Food Shelf

Earlier I commented on how having the Food Shelf remain open during the pandemic has kept me sane. It's funny how something that began as a once a week thing turned into me serving on an advisory panel and also volunteering all three times a week when we're open: Thursday evenings, 5:00-7:00, Friday mornings, 8:00-10:00 and Saturday mornings, 8:00-10:00. It's now morphed into a four day a week gig because Hillary, a friend of a friend, often calls me on Monday with extra produce from the Intervale. Sometimes I head out alone, but more often I text my great friend Steve and it becomes an adventure, always including coffee and sometimes lunch. We drive into the Intervale, let ourselves into the fridge, find the pile of boxes with our name of them, sort them, figure out if we can actually store all of it, then transport it to the Food Shelf where we let ourselves in (it's an off day and we're locked up) and store it away. Truthfully, it's usually the best day of the week. In the midst of a global pandemic it's wonderful to give back, even a little bit - as my faith reminds us, it's all about small kindnesses.

The excellent Dr. Wehmeyer helping to organize the produce at the Food Shelf.

Great produce from the good folks at Digger's Mirth in the Intervale.

Success!!

No comments: