Sunday, July 5, 2020

Starting Over, Again

As we get older we think, foolishly, that eventually we'll figure this all out. And, of course, we don't; maybe we simply figure out how to deal with the emotional carnage better. So, the results aren't actually any better but we just recover more quickly. Anyway, after December's Great Dumping - which precluded the Great Pandemic and the Great Isolation - I began to put my life back together again. I've settled in Bayberry Commons, which is technically in Burlington but about a ten minute walk to downtown Winooski. Actually, the short walk down to the restaurants of Winooski was one of the biggest reason why I took the apartment - that and the 24/7 gym onsite and the heated pool - obviously, all of these reasons went out the window when the zombie apocalypse broke. Oddly, the thing that I thought was a nice side slight bonus, the fact that every apartment automatically came with a great washer and dryer, has turned out to be the best part of the deal. It's a small one bedroom, which, again, before the ZA, didn't seem like much of a problem because for some reason I have a ton of friends and I didn't figure I'd be home much anyway. Yes, like most of my plans, it all went awry quickly. I'm warming to the place, and as the world starts to re-open I think I'll like it quite a bit. It finally inspired me to print off and frame a bunch of my pictures from overseas, so it's all starting to look quite homey.

This is what I woke up to on 9 May, moving day. #YankeeHellhole

The move-in was actually very painless. I don't own that much stuff - and I have way too many friends - so the process of unloading the moving van took less than twenty minutes.

I think the bed was about the only substantial thing that I carried out of the chaos of the breakup. It did require that I buy the requisite ton of Bed, Bath & Beyond stuff (to my shame, I have a BB&B account).

Ah, it looks better already.

The desk will eventually get moved into the bedroom and will be replaced by a number of bookcases. The walls are now largely covered with amazing pictures of places I won't be visiting any time soon. And my friend the esteemed Kevin helped me buy a big TV and DVD player so my entertainment needs are met. I almost got the two bedroom, and I'm sure I'll regret it down the road, but the world is full of so much uncertainty right now that I couldn't quite pull the trigger.


No comments: