Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Actual 60th

And I definitely can't believe that I had not posted these pictures before. This was the actual night of my 60th birthday, the entire point of the Trip of Mystery, which means I was in Swakopmund. It's so utterly strange to think about now, but in regards to my personal life but also the global pandemic (although, hell, three months later Steve and I were somehow miraculously shepherding fifteen students to India and back). My personal life was collapsing, which included the present but also the future, and suddenly my past seemed a lot more foolish as well, and I was in far southern Africa in one of the most beautiful and isolated places on the planet. I'm so happy that I finally made it to Namibia, and the sadness that I may never make it back is almost tangible.

The calendar in the Swakopmund Guesthouse, which was a very lovely place to stay if you're headed to Namibia.

Believe me, it was even more delicious than it looks.

Apparently everyone in Namibia somehow magically knew it was my birthday. Here's an impromptu and heartbreakingly sweet rendition of Happy Birthday.

And, of course, I was having dessert.

Not a bad view from the restaurant, looking out across the bay and towards the massive sand dunes in the distance.

No comments: