Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Virtual Chess Garden

We finally finished our two month run of Top 10 Book talks. Truthfully, I wanted to keep going but I ran out of volunteers. Happily I was able to schedule a talk by my dear, dear friend Sarah Cohen. We bonded years ago over a discovered shared love of Charles Dickens. I introduced her to Brooks Hansen's The Chess Garden, and I think we're still the only two people who like it (we get misty-eyed every time we discuss it). Fortunately I was able to schedule Andy and Heidi (and obviously Sylvie Maple) Burkhardt and Sean Leahy, old friends from the Champlain library who have now moved on to the Midwest as a surprise for Sarah. Naturally, she cried - and I cried. I miss them all terribly.

Based on his response, and the general joy of everyone else, I think someone (could be anyone, really) may have been giving Andy some grief . . .

No comments: