Saturday, April 6, 2019

Hobnobbing

I've posted way too many pictures of me lately, which I normally do for the obvious reason.  I'll blame it on my friends, who have surreptitiously taken too many pictures of me on the sly. Here's a selfie that my student Ines de Haro snapped on the back of one of our long bus rides in India. It got me thinking about student trips, not surprisingly.  I had dinner with my friend and student John last night, so, inexplicably, is graduating (after setting the North American record for most Scudder classes taken with 5). Reflecting back upon those classes, and the two overseas trips he took with me, he told me that one of the things he liked about me was that I would sit in the back of the bus and talk to students for hours on end. And I do suppose there's a lesson in there somewhere.  I always figured that by now I'd be sick of my students, and they would certainly be sick of me, but somehow that hasn't happened yet.  This alone probably explains why I've never seriously considered retirement. On a less metaphysical level, the picture also made me thinking of one of my favorite trip traditions: sharing Digestives ("mmm, so digestive") and Hobnobs ("mmmm, so Hobnobby") with my students.


Ines and yours truly (this is a rare picture, and even rarer good picture, of me).  I mainly take the pictures on the trip, which also allows me to control the narrative.

Ines and Ashley enjoying some delicious Hobnobs in the back of the bus.

No comments: