Monday, April 8, 2019

What It Means - Day 21

And here's some more pictures of the Jama Masjid in Delhi, India, which I was talking about last time. It is an extraordinary structure. The first three pictures are from my first visit there years ago, with the others from the visit two weeks ago.  This also got me to thinking about my response walking into that beautiful mosque (and for that matter any mosque) from before I converted and after. It's an odd question for which I don't know if I have a good answer.  When talking about my decision to convert I've often discussed the topics that are somewhat easier to quantify (certain theological views, lack of any great structure between the believer and God, etc.) and the issues that are more difficult to quantify (such as a feeling).  Essentially, every time I've ever walked into a mosque over the years I've always felt I belonged in a way that has never been true of any other religious structure.  If I've been in town (which obviously isn't always the case) I've gone to the ISVT every Friday and never felt that I was being dragged there against my will.  I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that I don't know if I felt that differently visiting the Jama Masjid the second time as compared to the first, mainly because I felt welcome and at home there years ago. Of course, I was also leading thirteen students there the second time, which meant that I had a lot of things on my mind that day.






No comments: