Saturday, April 20, 2019

What It Means - Day 33

"And walk not exultantly upon the earth; surely thou shalt not penetrate the earth, nor reach the mountains in height."
Quran, 17:37

One of the key attributes stressed in Islam in being humble, and it's one of the things that drew me to the faith.  Yes, I know, this seems like a strange things for me since I've been the poster child for hubris. However, as I've often opined, you should never choose a religion or a philosophy that you can CLEP out of. Rather, aren't the best aspects of any religion the most aspirational?  That said, I've also talked to people over the decades who have described me as humble, although they are clearly in the small minority; either they are the most delusional people I know or they are the ones who see beyond the passion play that is Scudder.  It seems to me that one of the many things that all religions have in common is the call for humility, although it seems all the adherents fail at that with equal universality. This generation of Trumpian Evangelicals seem to be the worst, although me proposing that also shows how far I have to go.

No comments: