Thursday, April 18, 2019

What It Means - Day 31

"In the United States, the vast majority of Muslims celebrate Ramadan, with eight-in-ten saying they fast during the holiday."
Pew Research Center

Ramadan will be here before we know it, and while I have mixed feelings about the month-long fast I'll be fasting once again.  It's difficult to believe that this is already my fourth Ramadan. Pew produces a wealth of great material about the perceptions of American Muslims about this country and also the perceptions of non-Muslims Americans about Islam and Muslims.  I'm not going to say a a lot about Ramadan today, mainly because it is hard upon us and I'll doubtless have a lot to say during the month.  Today I was thinking about Ramadan and I found myself wondering how many American Muslims actually fast during Ramadan, and thus this excursion into the world of Pew.  Truthfully, I'm surprised that the percentage is that high, especially here in the US.  The figure of 80% is much higher than the 42% of US Muslims who say that they pray five times a day or the 43% of American Muslims who attend their local mosque at least once a week. The numbers are pretty consistent: American Muslim men who fast sits at 77% while it is 82% for American Muslim women; similarly, 79% of US born Muslims fast while 80% of foreign born Muslims fast.  On a personal note, I am among the 80% who fast during Ramadan, I'm not among the 42% who pray five times a day, and I am among the 43% who attend my local mosque at least once a week.  Not surprisingly, among American Muslims who say that Religion is Very Important in their lives 92% fast.  Among American Muslims who say that Religion is Somewhat Important 65% fast.  I think it's very interesting that 41% of Muslim Americans who think that Religion is Not Too/Not At All Important fast, which, I would argue, speaks to the social pressures inside of the Muslim community. Once again, turning the lens on myself, I probably fall into the category of the 65% of Muslims who consider Religion Somewhat Important who fast.  I'm serious in my faith, but I'm also honest in that most of my fellow Muslims certainly devote more time to the faith than I do. Although, this also brings us back to how one defines the faith, because a lot of this discrepancy shows up in the external side of the faith and I would argue not so much the internal aspects of the faith.

No comments: