Thursday, April 4, 2019

Thanksgiving in the Wadi Rum - Shukran

As I'm always fond of saying, there's always another trip.  It's true metaphorically, but it also seems to be true logistically.  Recently I found myself reconciling Zanzibar receipts, putting the final touches on the India trip, and holding interviews for next fall's Jordan trip.  The Zanzibar receipts are put to bed and I'm back from India (although still a little paperwork to do on that front) and the Jordan interviews are complete.  It looks like my excellent friend, colleague and titular little sister Cyndi and I will be bringing 22 students to Jordan over Thanksgiving break, which will be the biggest Champlain trip ever. It's even more amazing when you consider that 19 of the 22 students are women, from a college which is something like 62% dude.  The Champlain female students are almost universally kick ass so this is shaping up to be a great trip.  I do love Jordan and it's all I can do to hold out until we can get on a plane next November.

We're going to be spending two days, including Thanksgiving, camping out in the Wadi Rum.  How about this for Thanksgiving day: six hour camel ride, touch football game (the Champlain Bowl), a turkey dinner cooked by the Bedouins who run the camp, and then reading Arabic poetry around a camp fire in the desert.  That is pretty epic.


No comments: