Thursday, April 4, 2019

Irrational League Draft 2019

Last weekend I made my way down to Miami, Florida for the draft that began the 27th season of the Irrational League. It doesn't seem that long ago that I suggested we start a fantasy baseball league; I think it was in a Subway restaurant up by UC, on a trip back to the Natti after we have moved to Atlanta. I've told the story before about how when I was trapped in Zanzibar looking after a very sick student I received word that my great friend Gary Beatrice had passed away.  Along with Bob Sawma that now makes two members of the league who have passed.  Truthfully, I don't know if I've ever gotten over Gary's passing, and only partially because I didn't have time to grieve then (I had to get the student packed so that we could be flown to Nairobi on an air ambulance).  Anyway, it's made me value my friends even more than before. I visited Jack down in Miami last summer and told him that it was essential that we had to carry out the next draft in Miami.  I love heading back to Cincinnati every year, but it was also pretty sweet to run around southern Florida for a few days (especially if you're coming from the Yankee Hellhole). If I had not sadly drafted the worst team in fantasy baseball history it would have just about been a perfect weekend.

Here we are at a Miami Marlins game.  It's a beautiful stadium, which sadly was almost deserted.

No comments: