Monday, November 22, 2010

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire






As you might expect, Vienna is in full-blown Christmas mode (although it seems that Ruzemberok, from where I am currently writing, hasn't caught the bug yet). When I finished the tour of the museum I wandered around a little Christmas town full of shops that were centered in the Maria Theresaplatz. I did a little pre-shopping shopping, but mainly I just soaked in the atmosphere. I'm rather embarrassed to admit that for the first time in my life I tried chestnuts (although my attempt to utilize the word klein for small - which I rememembered from my Eastern European history classes with the amazing Dr. Sakmyster - as in kleindeutschland and grossdeutschland) failed magnificently (I still got the small, but in English). They were pretty good, although I think their main appeal was aesthetic. I followed that up with something I have to admit was not a new experience - a bratwurst, although this was new in that it was manhandled (or in this case womanhandled) into a womb of a cored-out half-loaf of delicious crusty bread in a motion that could only make me think of earlier discussions this semester with my students on symbolism in Freudian dream analysis. A very spicy mustard made for a simple but delightful treat.

No comments: