Friday, November 26, 2010

Views of Prague from On High






Whenever I visit an international city I invariably climb up to the highest point to check out the scenery, even if it costs a little more it is always worth it. In this case I paid the fee to climb to the top of the clock tower (the one with the famous astronomical clock - again, more on that later). Now, before going on I should point out that the trip to the top was supposed to be free - at least according to the utterly worthless Prague Welcome Card. Take my advice, if you come to Prague - and you should definitely visit Prague - don't bother with the Prague Welcome Card. It is somewhere between useless and an outright scam. I suppose if you stayed long enough and visited every conceivable destination, and rode the excellent metro system a lot, you might come close to having it pay for itself. I never pay for these things, but I did this time and I've really regretted it. One of the problems is that several of the most popular destinations - the ones that are supposed to be free in the booklet - have little stamps on the back which state that they are no longer free. And this relates to some of the most popular activities, such as climbing to the top of the clock tower or visiting the St. Vitus church - or visiting the Municipal House or the Clementinum (thank god I can still visit the Museum of the Police Force for free). OK, now that that rant is out of the way, do definitely climb the 172 steps to the top of the clock tower - it is well worth it and the views are spectacular (even if it was a cold adventure yesterday morning).

No comments: