Thursday, November 25, 2010

Karluv Most










I had two afternoon meetings with Czech universities in the afternoon so I had to get an early start if I wanted to get any sight-seeing in today. So, wrapped up as warmly as I could manage (although I managed to leave my gloves in Vermont, so my fingers were a little stiff while I was snapping the hundred plus shots I took today - most in the early morn) I took off to see the city. I as all over the place this morning, but the place that impressed me the most was the Karluv Most (Charles Bridge). Now, I have a thing for bridges anyway (which helps to explain my now infamous climb to the top of the Suspension Bridge in Cincinnati when I was in college so that I could get a better view of the WEBN fireworks) but even considering that fact I was deeply moved by the Karluv Most. It's easy to find - from the center of the Old Town you just follow the winding, cobblestone Karlova street, until you suddenly come around a corner at the first gate rises before you. The bridge was initial built in the early 1300's, and the statues of the saints on the bridge were added as part of the Counter-Reformation attempt to bring Catholicism back to Prague in full force during the 1600's. The guidebook said to get to the bridge either as the sun is going up or going down because it is at its most special - although, to be fair, I think that's probably true of most things. However, I'm glad I got an early start - and braved the biting cold - because it was beautiful, and the angle of the sun certainly added a lot to it. From the bridge you can the awe-inspiring Prague Castle on the hillside (and, obviously, it reminded me of Castle Hill in Budapest - and I'll be starting my sight-seeing tomorrow at the Castle). To top it off the moon had not set, and I did manage to get it in one of the close-ups. I'll have at least one more posting of the bridge. I'd love to post dozens of pictures, but I'm already suffering through very slow wifi here at the hotel and I'm sure it will take a better part of an hour to download these pictures. Can't wait to pass through there again tomorrow on the way to the castle. By all means, definitely come to Prague - and most definitely check out the Charles Bridge.

No comments: