Friday, November 26, 2010

Return to Prague: Check




I guess that most places have some sort of legend relating to something that you're supposed to do to guarantee a return visit. For instance, in Florence you're supposed to rub the boar's snout (previous posting), and you can rest assured I gave it a thorough polishing. In Cairo it's believed that you're supposed to drink the water of the Nile; however, although I loved Cairo (even factoring in my passport going missing) I avoided that temptation. In Prague the legend relates to the Karluv Most (Charles Bridge) naturally enough. You're supposed to go to the eighth statue on the right, which is of St. John of Nepomuk (who, at least according to legend, was wrapped in chains and tossed off the bridge), and touch the statue. There are two spots that have been worn clean by visitors rubbing them. Some versions of the story say it only brings luck, although returning to Prague would constitute good luck (especially for me, because I've really fallen in love with the place). Either way, I did my due diligence.

No comments: