Sunday, May 12, 2019

Graduation 2019

As we've discussed, a normally have a bit of a mixed reaction to graduation.  I love my students, but by the end of the year I'm sort of done with everything (mainly because the administrators have done me in). So, I don't go every year.  Truthfully, I sometimes pick and choose based on how much I love the graduating seniors that year.  This year was an easy yes vote, as will next year, although two years down the road . . . One of the reasons why this year was such a no-brainer yes was that John Van Egas was graduating.  John holds the world record for taking Scudder classes with five, which, truthfully, I thought was impossible (not simply emotionally, but even logistically).  Nevertheless, John made it happen, and that includes two of the classes which included travel trips to India.  In those five classes I think John missed a total of two days, and truly felt bad about those.  If every student were as genuinely, infectiously enthusiastic about learning as John is this would be the easiest job in the world. I'll truly miss that kid.

I shamelessly swiped these pictures from his mother Marian's Facebook feed (although she did tag me, so I think that's the same as signing a legal document). At the end of the ceremony the professors lined up, which allowed the students to walk between us as we gave them a well-deserved round of applause.

I received so many hugs from so many students it was almost embarrassing, but also lovely and so life- and career-affirming.

Here I am telling John how proud of him I am, and that I'd always be his teacher and friend.  I think he had a speech prepared in his head, but he couldn't get the words out.

No comments: