Monday, May 27, 2019

What It Means - Day 70

"That is the Abode of the Hereafter, which We ordain for those who desire neither dominance upon the earth, nor corruption. And the end belongs to the reverent."
Quran 28:83

Maybe, to paraphrase Shakespeare's St. Crispin's Day speech, Ramadan is gentling my condition - or maybe all of this fasting has left me exhausted. Like yesterday, I'm simply pulling out a particular passage that I like. Trust me, eventually I'll get back to focusing on the more difficult passages, with tons of great Nasr commentary, but as I'm closing in on the last week of Ramadan I may simply be too tired to tackle the more challenging sections (or maybe I am learning something, although history teaches us that it's unlikely). This passage is culled out of surah 28, often referred to as "The Story." No one in the Quran is mentioned more than Moses, but, as is usually the case throughout the Quran, just by way of reference. As we often discuss in class, this tells you a lot about how familiar all these stories were to the people who lived in Arabia in the seventh century. There was no need to recount, rather you would just refer to them as an example in a commentary. Having said that, I'm pretty certain that surah 28 contains the most complete account of Moses, thus earning it's name of "The Story." As we've discussed, while I love to dig deep into the Quranic spiritual discussions, I'm also drawn to the times when the Quran more simply spells out how to live your life and treat others. In this case, what is worthy of praise, and reward?: "those who desire neither dominance up the earth, nor corruption." So, obviously, our current president is not going to score very highly.


No comments: