Monday, May 27, 2019

Sweets for the Occasionally Sweet

When people ask me my favorite country I always say Jordan, and there's no doubt in my mind that it's true. I'm not heading back there until next November and I'm already thinking about it continually (and not simply because I'm in the process of finishing the planning for the student trip). That said, I'm somewhat amazed that I've actually posted more frequently on the United Arab Emirates and Zanzibar than I have Jordan. To be fair, I've visited both places quite a bit, including living for a year on Abu Dhabi (plus, I might associate both of them with a woman I was in love with, so maybe I just viewed them with fresh eyes). I'm determined to make up for this. Maybe I just think of Jordan as home and thus it doesn't occur to me to record it - or maybe I just assume I'll be heading back soon so why bother. Anyway, I will get caught up. Here are a few pictures from last spring's trip. Inevitably we, like moths to a flame, end up at one or more of the Jordanian bakeries. Once the students discover Arabic sweets they become pretty ravenous and the quest for more treats defines our trips.

In this picture our friend and guide Mahmoud is explaining to Cat the different kinds of Jordanian sweets.  The owner looks less enthused by our inability to make a decision (to be fair, we'd strolled in right before closing).

The owner eventually forgave us when he realized that we were buying literally pounds of sweets to take back to ACOR to consume.

Liza, Genevieve and Emma wolfing down treats. Just looking at the dining room at ACOR makes me homesick.


No comments: