Friday, May 17, 2019

Old Delhi

Or just Delhi. In the mad blur of our recent trip to India we just scratched the surface in our exploration of New Delhi, especially the older part of the city. The clash between the modern, gleaming national capital and the grungy historical city is glorious. On our visit to the Jama Masjid (more on that later) the students did get to see a little bit of the old city. I don't know why I like these pictures do much. We were behind schedule, as always, and were rushing to get to the Sikh temple (which was an amazing visit) so I had to snap these pictures through the bus window. Normally I'm a bit of a snob on doing that because it screams of an inauthentic experience, but we were desperately late so I'll cut myself slack on this one.

I love this shot of a typically chaotic street in the old city, and I wish that we could have gone for a walk. Of course, I always try and remind myself that what I consider an acceptable level of chaos it not what everyone accepts as an acceptable level of chaos.

"Yes, ma'am, now about that problem with your cable . . ."


No comments: