Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Tyger Tyger

He may have "fearful symmetry," but apparently he's also invisible (or maybe ynvisible). I owe the blog a posting about our trip to Dudhwa in search of tigers, which I've referenced but never discussed in detail.  Suffice it to say at this point that we failed magnificently to see a tiger, although not for lack of trying.  Late in the day, as we drove around in jeeps, I think we were all getting a little dopey.  We saw fresh tiger prints, and we could hear the tiger in the brush, but she/he wouldn't come out. This made me feel terrible, especially for Olivia Richer because she was almost beside herself with joy at the prospect of seeing a tiger, but they don't exist just to please us (the unfeeling bastards, to paraphrase the Young Ones). At a certain point Ines de Haro pulled up an image of a tiger on her phone, which Kelly Thomas held out of the jeep, and we fabricated the experience. Still, I don't think I would have traded that day for anything, even one featuring a tiger.

It didn't help our cause that we then started laughing out loud, which certainly didn't help the tiger hunt.


No comments: