Thursday, May 23, 2019

What It Means - Day 66

"Fasting: Like the daily canonical prayers, fasting (sawm) is an obligatory rite to be performed dyring the lunar month of Ramadan by all Muslim men and women from the age of puberty until old age. It is a fast from all food, drink, smoke, and sexual activity (also evil thoughts and deeds) from dawn to sunset (and for Shi'ites until dusk). This rite is, however, obligatory only for those who have the physical capability to carry it out. Exceptions are made for the sick and those on a journey (who must make it up later), women in their menstrual period or pregnant or nursing a child, and those who are too weak because of old age. The month of Ramadan was the month of the descent of the Quran. In this holiest of Islamic months, Muslims combine physical and psychological purification with an intensification of prayer, recitation of the Quran, and acts of charity. During this month, in almost all Islamic cities, vast amount of food are provided free for the poor, and the cost of one meal that one and one's family does not eat each day is given to the needy.
   During the fast one puts on, in a sense, the dress of death and distances oneself from the passions that attach one to the world. It is a time of great self-discipline and the practice of the virtues of patience and persistence in hardship for the sake of God. It is also a time to develop greater compassion toward the needs and to realize what it means to suffer from hunger. The Prophet loved fasting, and in a way fasting from food in Islam corresponds to abstaining from sexuality in Christianity, which exists as a religious ideal although only practiced fully by those who observe celibacy.  The Founder of Islam fasted on many other days during the year, and there are many who emulate his model to this day. But the only obligatory fast is that of Ramadan, which is practiced by the vast majority of Muslims throughout the world to this day."
Seyyed Hossein Nasr, The Heart of Islam, pp. 132-133

And since we're talking about Ramadan I thought I would include these words from Seyyed Nasr on the subject. As always, he expresses it beautifully. Several things jump out at me as I reread Nasr's words. I wonder when I'll fall into the category of "those who are too weak because of old age"? While the occasional nap has made its way back into my daily routine in my late 50s I'm consistently amazed that I have as much energy as I have; like all folks I guess, when I was younger I just assumed that I'd feel much older when I reached this age (of course, I suppose going to the gym every day plays a role in that).  Still, I know there will be the inevitable decline, and in some way it has clearly begun. I wonder if the decision of when you're too old to fast or sort of like that decision that you're too old to drive: that is, it's a decision that your kids make for you. Generally, however, my main response to this description is how poorly I hold up my end of the bargain as a Muslim, both inside and outside of the month of Ramadan.






No comments: