Thursday, May 30, 2019

Shop Around the Corner

I continue to try and get caught up with the astonishing backlog of blogging that I need to do. Happily I have an excuse: my phone keeps sending me messages about how it would work a lot better if it had some free memory. Thank you stupid phone for prompting me. I'm down to around 1800 pictures on the phone so progress is being made . . .

Here are a few pictures from last spring's trip to Jordan.  I am sure that there are many cities around the world where you can pop in and design your own perfume, but for some reason I always associate it with Amman. On our first full day in the capital we were walking around the city when one of the students told me that she had told the owner of a perfume shop that "maybe she'd stop by later." I explained to her that in Jordan that was the same as signing a binding contract. So, we made our way back, and actually spent a very lovely hour there (and will doubtless go back in November). Not only did the students get to play mad scientist and create their signature perfumes (most of which I suspect ended up being souvenirs for their moms, so mission accomplished) but they also got to interact with a bunch of incredibly friendly Jordanians. So, it was touristy, but well-worth the stop.

The requisite Jordanian selfie, of which Ines always seemed to be the center.

Fenn, Rebecca, Kally, Cat, Ines and Emma considering their options.

Cyndi, who is, after all, a scientist, mixing her signature perfume.

Yeah, it's all fun and games until the shop owner decides to spray you with perfume. Sadly, that shirt ended up nicely folded and left in a Petra hotel room (it's my belief that you should never come home from an overseas trip with your clothes smelling of perfume . . .).


No comments: