Sunday, July 22, 2012

Another of those Desert Loving English

Currently I am in the middle of a visit from my sister Lisa and nephew Garrett.  The time has flown by and sadly they are leaving tomorrow.  I have a lot of posts to get up, but I'll wait until I get pictures from my nephew.  Garrett is quite the photographer and he's taken hundreds and hundreds of pictures, with a really nice camera, so I haven't even bothered to bring mine along.  That said, here's a couple shots that I snapped yesterday with my Blackberry in the desert outside of Liwa oasis.  We had gone there the day before and made it all the way out to the Mareeb Dune (and that will require a separate posting of its own, complete with many pictures, because sand, sometimes three or four feet high, was covering much of the road, and it was quite the adventure).  Anyway, Garrett liked it so much that we got up at 4:30 the next morning so that we could be back out on a dune at 5:00 to watch the sun come up for more pictures (I'll be posting some of his shots soon).  Today is our last day together, and we're heading back to Dubai to go to the top of the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building.

Garrett prepping his camera for the hundreds of pictures he took.  When we climbed up to the top of the dune it was so dark we had to use the flash on his camera to see where we were going (and avoid snakes).

The view after the sun was partially up.  I"ll post more of the gradual progression once Garrett sends me his pictures.

And way down at the bottom of the sand dune is my faithful Yaris.  You can barely see our footprints, which disappeared very quickly in the sand that was so soft that it almost felt liquid - which made climbing a real challenge.

No comments: