Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"Quick to anger, quick to smile"

Those are the words of a Beirut taxi driver describing Americans - and I would be hard-pressed to come up with a better description (at least of me).  We were driving to a museum and carrying on a wide-ranging and free-wheeling discussion of Lebanon, the US and life in general.  It's one of the international conversations that I'll always cherish (and I've been fortunate to have many of them - unlike a lot of Americans I actually talk to people overseas).  Of course, barely two hours later Lebanon was forced to witness the other side of that rule when I blew up at another taxi driver for blatantly cheating me.  In the end, however, it was my own fault because I broke two cardinal rules of international taxi travel: 1) I didn't get him to agree up a fixed price before we took off (which is really important in some parts of the world where they don't use the meter - and I just had a feeling that it was a dodgy taxi from the beginning so I should have trusted my instincts), and 2) I only had large bills on me so I had to depend upon him for change.  Still, I did get my heart rate up, which I think is supposed to be good for you.

No comments: