Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tuesday Nights

As I've often suggested, one of the key factors in adapting to a new place is setting up a routine.  In India it was finding a place to work out and catching a matinee every Sunday.  Since I've been in Abu Dhabi for so long I've developed many routines.  Probably my favorite routine is spending over Tuesday night at the Sands Hotel participating in the weekly pub quiz at Harvester's, a pseudo-English pub in the basement of the hotel.  Our team, whose name has been deleted because of consideration for the more tender-hearted and politically-correct readers, has finished in the money every week.  Now, finishing in the money at the pub quiz at Ruben James back in Burlington means beer t-shirts and key-chains, but in the Emirates the swag is much more impressive.  We've won cases of beer and free dinners and all-day pool parties.  Our success is mainly because of the excellent efforts of the other three members of the team - Rob, Mel and Laura.  I mainly contribute in the music round exhausting my encyclopedia knowledge of music with comments such as "that is not Neil Young either."  The four of us constitute the consistent core and other folks slide in and out on a weekly basis.  Sadly, our host, yet another British Rob, is taking off for the summer so I fear this is my last pub quiz in Abu Dhabi (at least for the immediate future).  Amongst our group we have a constant argument about whether or not it is better to win the picture round (identifying pictures of actors or robots or flags) or winning the entire competition.  If you win the picture round your entire evening's meal and drinks are free, whereas if you win the entire competition you get your choice of swag (and also eternal glory).  I'm am the only one who sides with eternal glory, and, of course, I'm the only one who is correct.

Rob, Mel and Laura - three-quarters of the FHs.

No comments: