Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Idiots of Dune

And a few quick shots that my nephew Garrett send along (he took well over a thousand just here in the Emirates).  Here we are cavorting in the sand dunes outside of Liwa in the Empty Quarter.  Three of them were on a Friday afternoon, and it was the first time that Lisa and Garrett had ever seen the desert so they were almost giddy/goofy.  The other was shot in the early morning when Garrett and I climbed to the top of a sand dune to watch the sun come up.

Garrett is in the middle of a pretty epic trip his mother put together for him: England, United Arab Emirates, France.  Not bad for your first time overseas.  He loved the UAE.

My sister Lisa, per usual, playing the fool.  Doubtless I am restaging the speech I first gave when I was two years old, and repeated many times after that, when I tried to explain to my parents the advantages of only having one child.  That said, Lisa loved the desert, and I loved showing it to her.

As Archer would facetiously say, "Hurray for metaphor!"


A sight that any of my students - and my friends - would be familar with: me pontificating on something/anything.  Garret and I had been on that dune since 4:30 and the sun was finally just about up.


1 comment:

KBL said...

I love these! Also love the post title. :)