Friday, July 6, 2012

Dubrovnik

And the first of many pictures of the trip to Croatia.  For a long time I'd heard about the beauty of Croatia, and still the advance press didn't do it justice.  I'll be posting many pictures of Dubrovnik, but here's one to get us started.  I snapped this one from the top of the amazing walls that surround the city, and protects it from both sea and land attack.  It's sad to think of the city being bombed during the bloodbath that accompanied the collapse of Yugoslavia.  I can still remember TV reports of the bombing at the time, but it was before I went overseas for the first time and it just seemed to be happening in a different universe.  Of course, this is one of the main reasons to travel abroad - so that you can gain some appreciation and empathy for the rest of the world (and it's the single biggest reason why I started the Global Module project in the first place).  I'm so happy that it has been rebuilt and that the region is at peace - and that I had a chance to visit this magical place.

With its natural beauty it is almost impossible to take a bad picture of Dubrovnik, although, of course, I did.  Happily, this is not one of them.

No comments: