Saturday, July 7, 2012

Reflections on Things at Hand: Entering Montenegro

An odd email I sent to my friends back in Vermont as I was taking a break after entering Montenegro on the 4th of July.  I guess this would be the equivalent of a haiku from Basho in The Narrow Road to the Deep North, except written by an illiterate fool.  Either way, it's a snapshot of where I was at that moment, both geographically and intellectually (and maybe spiritually).


Reflections on the 4th:

1. Happy 4th of July!

2. Filled up my rental car today and gas was 7 dollars a gallon. Ouch.

3. Drove over to Montenegro today; as I crossed the border the B52's "Love Shack" was playing.

4. Montenegro does not have its own currency - it uses the euro although it is not part of the EU, much to the EU's chagrin.

5. Cruise ships dock at Kotor, Montenegro, where I have stopped in search of a hot dog.

6. Montenegro is small, odd, mountainous, out of the way, contrary, beautiful, not sure who it belongs to, and has a population of 600,000 - it may be Vermont.

7. America! (as my excellent friend Sanford would say)


No comments: